If you haven’t browsed through our 2017 Seed Catalog, now is the time to check it out. We have more than 60 corn numbers and 100 soybean numbers slated for next planting season, and that doesn’t include our Elite Soybean (conventional) lines.
To help you get started on your 2017 seed selection, here are few tips to set you on the right track to higher yields.
- Consider reaching out to your local fertility expert to determine the soil fertility of your fields and what nutrient management options may be required to ensure a healthy crop next year. If you don’t have someone you are currently working with, local university extension offices may be able to provide experts and soil sampling services to help you determine what’s in your fields now, and how to make adjustments before planting season arrives.
- Remember that almost every hybrid/variety has an off year. Unexpected inclement weather can throw any good corn hybrid or soybean variety off its usual course, so don’t let one off year keep you away from products that have a normal history of performing well on your acres. Always make room for tried and true genetics in your portfolio.
- That being said, it’s also important to diversify genetics. Yes, you do want to reserve a number of acres for the products that have repeatedly performed, but as the old saying goes, “don’t put all your eggs in one basket,” just in case your favorite hybrid or variety does have that off year.
- Talk to your local Stine sales rep and/or dealer to discuss what has worked well in your area in the past, especially in 2016. Ask him/her which traits stood out and which hybrids and varieties were the top performers for other Stine growers in your region.
- Get your seed orders in early. Now is the best time of year to start because you get first dibs on the hybrids and varieties that are in high demand so that you’re already locked in and prepaid come planting season.
- And last but not least, take advantage of the winter farm show season. Stop by the Stine booth at a farm show near you to chat one-on-one with a Stine sales rep to discuss your plans for 2017.